A Letter of Farewell

It has been a long journey. I know neither of us expected to last this long. In this day and age, twenty years is a long time. Wow, I can't believe it has really been twenty years. And I can't believe you won't be here for another twenty.

You have sat by my side through the most pivotal years of my life. Always there, always dependable. Keeping me on track, getting me through. Providing illumination and entertainment. Capturing magical moments.

You have traveled with me. To my college dorm rooms and apartments. To my clinicals in Florida and Virginia. You were by my side when I moved to Ohio and were content to come back to New York.

When I am away, I miss you terribly.

The years have been kind to you. Of course, there is always something new on the horizon. But that is not what I want. I want you faithfully by my side. You've aged well. I like to think we've grown up together. Perhaps you are no longer the most stylish out there, but you are very good at your job. I appreciate all of the hard work you've put in over the years.

I've noticed that you've been struggling. I've pretended it wasn't happening, but that didn't stop it from becoming evident. I didn't want to admit that we, no, you were not strong enough to pull through this time.

I have used you ever day and you asked for nothing in return. Always reliable and steadfast. A constant in this ever changing world.

I know nothing lasts forever, but I had really hoped you would. I wish I could say that I will never be able to replace you, but I know I am not that disciplined. But I can guarantee that I will never be as fond of your replacement as I am of you.


Good-bye clock radio (with cassette player). I will miss you.

Comments

  1. Did we buy these in bulk, as I still have the same model? Wife hates the shrill ringtone, so I keep "expecting" a replacement for Christmas, a Birthday, or even Arbor Day, but there it sits. How did yours fail/what do I have to look out for? The cassette function has long since died, but my need for playing cassettes left as well, so that is no big deal.

    Your brother, D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My radio is no longer tuning in. It just makes an annoying buzz/screech. Since I use the alarm set to the radio (because I cannot stand the buzzer), it is no longer functional for me. I do believe the tape player still works, but only one of the alarm works. I received mine for Christmas, 1993, in preparation to go to college. I think I knew you had the same one. I am afraid nothing will ever replace it, but it has been a good haul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the radio feature died long ago & I'm left with the buzzer, which serves its purpose. It gets me out of bed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Life Was Changed By A Standard Comma

This Is My Last Post

Miss Chick Lit