NaNo

Hey all-

I'm still here! I bet you thought I'd deserted my blog. I haven't, I've just been a bit tied up lately.

I started NaNo on November 1st. No, it is not some new high-tech thing. NaNo is short for "National Novel Writing Month." I don't know how NaNo came about, but the gist is that you write 50,000 words in 30 days. Why they picked November, I have no idea. With the holidays and all, it seems like pretty poor timing to me, but alas, here it is, and November is NaNo. In the genre under which I currently write (women's fiction, chick lit), a typical novel is 80,000 to 100,000 words. So, banging out 50,000 words in 30 days is quite the jump start. The math breaks down to 1,667 words per day. It doesn't seem like that much. When I sit down to write on the weekends, I can usually pump out around 2,000 to 3,000 words in a day. It is the weekdays that kill me.

Of course, the NaNo site has all sorts of fancy graphs to measure your progress and tell you your averages, and, at your current rate, when you are going to finish. I geek out over that sort of information.

So, at this point, NaNo is a big focus.

I'm also continuing to edit my second novel, Hold Her Down to get it ready for publication. Still trying to work out cover art, so if anyone wants to volunteer services, I'd happily accept.

In addition, because I don't have enough going on, I'm beta reading a novel for a fellow author. That involves reading and critiquing the story before she sends it on to her editor.

Oh, and then there are the trivial things, like work, home, the kids, the hubs, PTA, dance, etc., etc., etc. Just kidding. Those are my first priorities and all the other stuff comes second.

Other brief exciting news, and then I have to get back to NaNo'ing before the day starts ... Good Intentions will be available for purchase in a brick and mortar book store! As of today, Good Intentions will be on the shelf in Northshire Bookstore in Saratoga Springs, NY. I also had professional head shots done for a small magazine feature, so hopefully I'll have those soon. Good things are happening.

But if I'm off the radar for a little while, just assume I'm NaNo'ing. Or eating turkey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Life Was Changed By A Standard Comma

This Is My Last Post

Miss Chick Lit