Possible Development?

I wasn't going to post today.

But then I witnessed a moment with my son. And it's the type of story that I want to get down and record for my children.  (Someday soon, I promise I will write about my daughter too!)

I love to read.  I always have.  I have wonderfully fond memories of my mother reading The Bobbsey Twins to my brothers and I before bed.  I associate certain books with certain grade levels.  When I was in 2nd grade, as my son is now, we read "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs," "Charlotte's Web," and "How to Eat Fried Worms."  "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" remains my favorite children's story, and was the first item I bought when I found out I was expecting Jake.

Jake, like me, started reading early.  In fact, I think he's a better reader than I was at his age.  And he reads signs, labels, cereal boxes, titles on TV.  But he doesn't like to read fiction books.  9 times out of 10, if forced to read, he will pick a non-fiction book.  The expectation in his school is that children read 15+ minutes on 20 or more nights per month.  We usually end up having a battle about him having to read.  He reads 1-2 pages, and then wants me to read for him.  Every 3-4 minutes, he asks how much longer he has to read for.

Tonight, I had to leave to go to dance class.  Jake had not yet read.  He wanted to watch TV, but I told him he had to read.  He came out from his room with a book, and asked if it was acceptable. I reminded him that he had started "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" last night.  I was trying to get my stuff together and deal with Sophia, who was throwing a tantrum.  I look in my room, and Jake is sitting on the bed, reading out loud.  Without prompting or assistance.  I kissed him good-bye.  As I started to go downstairs, I heard Jake laughing out loud.  He said, "Listen to this!" and then repeated a passage that made him laugh.  And he laughed again.

Maybe, just maybe, tonight, Jake developed a love for reading.  (Fingers crossed)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Life Was Changed By A Standard Comma

This Is My Last Post

Miss Chick Lit